A Slice of Life is now offering SLES – School Leaver Employment Support training – but with a difference.
SLES is an NDIS funded program for Year 12 school leavers designed to prepare you for work once you graduate.
How are we different?
- Our aim is to help you prepare and find a meaningful and sustainable job that suits your interests and abilities.
- Our training is hands-on and practical, ensuring that every day you achieve something that will help you towards your goal of getting a great job.
- Class sizes are small with a maximum of 15 students, all with low support needs so that you can receive the attention you need to achieve your personalised goals.
- Our curriculum covers everything from preparing for your job search to tips and strategies for becoming a valued employee.
- We offer fun extras such as cooking for your lunchbox, budgeting, public transport training, dressing for success, etc.
- We offer additional electives such as barista training, Responsible Service of Alcohol certification, first aid training and more.
At A Slice of Life, we recognise the importance of having a meaningful, sustainable job to your self-esteem, wellbeing and financial security and we want to help you secure that role.
Our focus is on development of skills for employment
SLES is a way to help you get there.
The transition from school to work can be huge and we’re here to make that easier for you by ensuring you have the skills, training, information, strategies, confidence and support to help you every step of the way.
Learning with your peers is a great way to make friendships and support each other through this exciting phase of your life.
What do you learn in SLES?
Whilst your training plan is personalised to your needs and goals, our curriculum covers:
- Goal setting
- Career profiling
- Identification of required skills and additional training requirements
- Job searching
- Resume and cover letter writing
- Interview skills and preparation
- Understanding job descriptions, expectations & rights
- Time management
- Transport training
- Self awareness
- Self care and dressing for your job
- Conflict resolution
- Decision making and problem solving
- Flexibility & resilience
- Lunchbox packing
- Workplace etiquette
- Computer literacy
- Preparing for your first day
- and more
Who is eligible?
A Slice of Life employment training is available to young people who have recently left school or about to leave school and have mild intellectual disability and low support needs. It is a program funded by the NDIS.
Our aim is to prepare you to find a job you love and then keep it.
We are not aligned with an employment agency or supported employment options but are well connected within the local business community.
Contact us how you can put your NDIS funding to work to help you get to work!
How do you get SLES funding in your NDIS plan?
If you have NDIS funding, that’s your first step to qualify for SLES.
If you’re applying for NDIS or during a review, you can choose to apply for SLES if you’re preparing to graduate from school.
Part of the process is to confirm your eligibility by submitting a Functional Capacity Assessment (FCA), which your school can usually organise for you.
We’re happy to answer any questions you have. Just email us and we’ll respond asap.